This page covers the following topics

UK Child Visa

Any child of a person who is legally present in the UK is eligible for a UK child visa. The parent (or parents) must demonstrate that they are the only ones in charge of raising the child if they want to be considered eligible. A child is defined as a person who was under 18 years old at the time of application. In general, children are allowed the same length of time in the UK as their parents. These are frequently referred to as dependent visas for children.

The child will be granted Indefinite Leave to Enter if the parent has Indefinite Leave to Remain or British Citizenship. However, the child’s parents must still show that the demand for sole responsibility exists. If the parent has a limited leave to remain, an application will be submitted for the child to have a limited leave to remain as well, in accordance with the parent’s leave.

Eligibility criteria

What are the eligibility criteria for a UK Child Visa?

You can apply for an Indefinite Leave to Enter or a child dependent visa from abroad if you can meet the following requirements:

  • You, the minor, must be younger than 18 years of age
  • You are not married or in a civil partnership
  • You must not be leading an independent life, meaning that the child must be reliant on one or both of their parents
  • You must be able to maintain yourself without using any public resources or subsidies
  • Evidence of adequate funds arrangements for the child
  • One of your parents must be requesting a UK visa, either to join the other parent as a partner (for example, under the UK marriage visa category) or as a parent with sole responsibility

It is possible to file for a child visa for children older than 18 years in rare extreme cases, such as when the kid has a physical or mental disability. Additionally, the age requirement for children is 21 years old if the parent is an EEA or EU citizen. Applications can be submitted under Appendix EU from inside or outside the UK.

Adopted children are also eligible for this visa category. In this situation, the adoption must have taken place in accordance with UK adoption laws or The Hague Convention, and supporting documentation is needed as part of the application.

Documents required

What are the documents required for a UK Child Visa?

  • Evidence of your age and that of your child
  • A record of sole accountability or sole custody
  • Accommodation arrangements in the UK;
  • Documents demonstrating that you have the required funds, such as bank statements of the parents who live in the UK
  • A letter from your employer detailing your position, how long you have been employed there, and your current pay
  • Salary payslips for 6 months

Financial requirement

What is the financial requirement for a UK Child Visa?

  • The parents must demonstrate that they earn at least £18,600 annually
  • Plus £3,800 for the first child, if they are the fiancé, unmarried parent, spouse, or parent of a British national or a person with indefinite leave to remain
  • The parents will need extra £2,400 to support any additional child they wish to bring to the UK

There are several income sources outside an annual salary that can be utilised to support the need for a child dependent visa. These include liquid savings, pension funds, and profits from non-employment sources like real estate rents.

Fees to apply for a UK Child Visa?

What are the fees to apply for a UK Child Visa?

Application fee Applying outside the UK Applying inside the UK
Dependent child (family visa route) £1,538 £1,048
Dependent child (dependent of long-term visa holder – e.g., work visa) up to 3 years – £625 per person more than 3 years – £1,235 per person up to 3 years – £719 per person more than 3 years – £1,423 per person
Dependent child of a settled person £2,404 £2,404

Other fees include

  • BRP fee, which is £19.20
  • Immigration Healthcare Charge £470 per child for each year that is granted to them on their visa

Need further guidance?.

Talk to our UK Visa Expert to get accurate advice and assistance for your UK Child Visa application.