This page covers the following topics
If a child is younger than 16 years, you can apply for their passport. A child passport can be obtained in up to three weeks on average.
You will require the information and signatures of both parents or any other individual with parental responsibility to apply for a passport for your child. If you are unable to do so, you must submit a written statement outlining your situation. A signature on the application form is required from the children who are 12 to 15 years old.
You must apply for a first child passport if your child has never held a passport issued by the UK. You will require a witness to verify your child’s identity after you have completed your request. This witness person must work in a recognized profession, be a British citizen, and have known you for at least two years. During processing your passport application, the HM Passport Office will get in touch with your reference.
A child’s British passport will cost £53.50 to apply online and £64 to apply on paper at the Post Office (updated fees as of May 2023).
List of documents required
List of documents required for a child’s British passport application
You must provide appropriate documents in order to apply for your child’s British passport. Only original documents or certified copies of certificates will be accepted by the UKVI. Photocopies and certified copies are not acceptable and will render your application ineffective.
You must include the following with your application for a British passport:
- Birth or adoption certificate of your child
- If the name on your passport does not match the one listed on your birth certificate, you must present a signed letter from any person with parental authority confirming the name change and at least one instance of the new name being used in official records
- Any previous passport from a foreign country that was once granted to you child
- Proof that your child is a citizen of the UK
- If the original language of your documents is not English or Welsh, you must submit certified translations
Fees to apply for a child’s British Passport
What are the Fees to apply for a child’s British Passport?
Updated fees as of May 2023.
|Child (under 16) standard 34-page passport
|Child (under 16) 50-page frequent traveller passport