The UK is one of the top 10 tourism destinations in the world, with up to 40 million annual visitors. You must apply for a UK Standard Visitor visa in order to travel, do business, or visit relatives in the UK. An individual can travel and stay in the UK for up to 6 months with a Standard Visitor Visa. For up to six months, a Standard Visitor Visa costs £100.

Additionally, you may apply for a Standard Visitor Visa for a period of 2, 5, or 10 years (the cost of the visa varies depending on the length of time). Three months before the date of trip is the earliest you may submit an application. Standard visitor visas are issued for a variety of reasons, including vacation to the UK, visiting family and friends, going on business trips, and even medical visits.

While you can enter the UK primarily for travel or business with a visitor visa, there are several circumstances in which you could be allowed to carry out work-related activities. Let’s discover more information.

Can You Work on a UK Standard Visitor visa?

According to UK immigration laws, those on a UK Standard visitor visa are often not allowed to work or participate in any type of paid job. This visa category’s main objective is to make short trips for vacation, business, or connected travel easier. However, there are several exceptions and particular situations where you could be permitted to work.

Eligibility Criteria for a Standard Visitor visa

The necessary requirements that you must fulfil in order to be eligible to apply for a Standard Visitor Visa are detailed below:

  • You should be able to provide documentation for your visit to the UK.
  • You must possess a passport or other travel authorization that is valid during the duration of your stay.
  • You must have adequate personal funds to cover your expenses during your journey to the UK and those of any dependents you may have. Alternatively, you might ask family or friends for financial assistance to cover your travel costs.
  • You must show that you have solid links to your family, friends, and community as well as a job or company that will keep you in your native country.
  • You must provide proof that you plan to leave the UK once your visit is over.

If you’re travelling to the UK for any of the following reasons, you might need to meet additional requirements:

  • As a student, dentist or senior doctor
  • Work at a placement, study or give an exam.
  • Medical treatment

Permitted Activities in the UK on a UK Standard Visitor visa

One can undertake a variety of activities with a tourist visa to the UK, including:

  • travel to the UK on vacation.
  • Travel for medical purposes or to receive treatment
  • transit via the UK on the way to another nation
  • visit friends or relatives.
  • Visit for commercial purposes.
  • travel to participate in athletic or artistic contests.
  • Study, complete a placement, or take a test for up to 30 days, provided that this is not your primary purpose for visiting.
  • You may participate in an exchange programme or educational visit if you are under the age of 18.
  • Your civil partnership can be converted into a marriage in the UK.

Occupational activities

To do the following business- or work-related activities, you may travel to the UK for up to six months:

  • Attend seminars, conferences, meetings, and interviews.
  • Sign and negotiate agreements and contracts.
  • Promote your company by attending trade shows (you cannot make sales)
  • Give a one-off or short series of talks as long as they’re not for profit or a commercial event (you must not be paid)
  • Visit sites and conduct inspections
  • Ensure that a UK firm delivers the goods and services it promises to your international business or grou
  • Provide instruction or information regarding internal initiatives to UK staff members of the organisation you work for abroad.


  • If you want to work full-time or part-time in the UK, you will need to apply for a UK work visa according to your particular job position and type.
  • People traveling to the UK on business are entitled to reimbursement of expenses, but cannot receive salaries in the UK.

What is the permitted paid engagement visa for the UK?

Worldwide, there is a high demand for various artists from different areas. The UK government developed the UK Permitted Paid Engagement Visitor Visa as a special visa within the UK Visitor visa category in response to the inflow of visitors, artists, and entertainers from outside.

If you are in the UK on a standard tourist visa, you are often not permitted to accept remuneration that would be considered a wage (beyond reasonable out-of-pocket expenditures for travel and living expenses) for any activity you carry out while you are here.

Here are the only exceptions to this rule

If a visitor is an artist, performer, or musician visiting a permit-free festival in the UK; or has authorization as a permitted paid engagement guest, payments may be taken under the exceptions.

Professionals invited to the UK as authorities in their respective industries may apply for the UK Permitted Paid Engagement Visa. The applicant must have an invitation from a UK-based business or customer in order to proceed. With this visa, you can go to the UK to work on a specific paid project without needing sponsorship under the country’s points-based immigration system.

Who can apply for a UK Permitted Paid Engagement Visa application?

  • Pilots who want to examine the UK’s airline industry in accordance with internationally agreed-upon standards.
  • Legal professionals who want to appear in court.
  • Artists
  • Professors or lecturers who want to give a lecture at a university.
  • Athletes
  • Professionals in the entertainment industry.
  • Fashion models.

Can anybody in the UK on a standard visitor visa apply for a UK work visa or work there while on a visit visa?

The answer is no. You must go back to your country to submit an application for a UK work visa. Switching from a Standard Visitor Visa to a Work Visa from within the UK is not permitted. Once you have left the UK, you will need to submit a new application to get a UK Work Visa.

Get in touch with Conroy Baker Ltd

It is crucial to get expert advice in order to evaluate your eligibility and consider your choices. In order to get expert guidance and personalized advice on UK Standard Visitor visa matters, you can rely on the experienced professionals at Conroy Baker Ltd. With our extensive knowledge and 30 years of expertise, we can assist you in navigating the intricacies of UK immigration and help you make informed decisions.

If you want to start the process for applying for a UK visa, get in touch with Conroy Baker Ltd. You can contact us on +44 330 330 1584 or [email protected] to Book a consultation.

You can contact us on +44 330 330 1584 or [email protected] to book a consultation.