This page covers the following topics
Overview: Renewing a British passport
A standard 34-page passport UK passport renewal application will cost you £82.50, if done online. If you choose to fill out a paper application, it will cost you £93 (updated fees as of May 2023).
An adult passport cannot be obtained unless the applicant is 16 years of age or older (or will be 16 in three weeks).
Applying for a child’s passport involves a distinct procedure. A child’s passport is valid for 5 years and costs £53.50 to apply online for a standard 34-page passport or £64 to fill out a paper form.
Get British passport renewed
How to get my British passport renewed?
Online Renewal of British Passport
Renew online via GOV.UK, the official website of the UK government.
You will require:
- A digital picture
- An ATM or credit card
- Your passport
Renewing a British Passport through Paper Application
You can make a paper application to renew your passport. To do so, you can:
- Visit a post office that offers the Check and Send service, or
- Call the Passport Advice line at 0300 222 0000
- You can complete a paper application between Monday to Friday, the queue is open from 8:00 AM to 8:00 PM
- Additionally, on weekends and federal holidays, from 9:00 AM to 5:30 PM
- You also require 2 brand-new, identical printed pictures of you
You have two payment options:
- Either opt for a debit or credit card payment option, or
- Write a cheque made payable to ‘Her Majesty’s Passport Office’
British Passport Renewal Fees
What are the British Passport Renewal Fees?
Updated fees as of May 2023.
|Adult (16 and over) standard 34-page passport
|Adult (16 and over) 50-page frequent traveller passport
|Child (under 16) standard 34-page passport
|Child (under 16) 50-page frequent traveller passport
|Passport for people born on or before 2 September 1929
Track application progress
How to track application progress for a British passport?
For online passport application:
- If you have applied online, you can immediately track your passport application on GOV.UK
- You can find the reference number for your passport application in the email confirmation
- Visit the GOV.UK and search for ‘Track your passport application’
- You will then find a link that directs you to the passport tracking page
- Only applicants whose references start with PEX or POD are eligible to use this service
For paper passport applications:
- If you opted for a paper application, you must wait at least 3 weeks after submitting it before checking the status
- You must provide your name, address, email, and either the 10-digit barcode number from the application form or, if you applied at the Post Office, the 9-digit number on the receipt
- After that, you will get an email with information on the progress of their passport application
British passport delivery
How will British passport be delivered
You will receive the replacement passport by courier or Royal Mail. The options are:
- Post it through your letterbox
- Hand it to you if you are home
- Leave a card or post for you saying how they can get it (it will not say the package contains the passport)
When to renew British passport
- An adult UK passports must be renewed every 10 years
- The UK government anticipates that the procedure will take up to ten weeks
- If applied online, this process is quicker than a paper application
You must renew your British passport before:
- Your passport expires
- You do not have enough time left on it (Note: How much time one needs on their passport depends on the country they are visiting)
- You have a burgundy passport or have ‘European Union’ on the cover, they can still use it as long as it’s valid for travel
Unexpired UK visa
What to do with unexpired UK visa
- You will be required to send your previous passport with the visa attached to it with your application
- Your previous passport will be returned to you
- You will be able to use the visa if you carry both your passports