This page covers the following topics


  • The UK Home Office launched a few new visas under a special category called the ‘Global Business Mobility’ which came into effect from 11th April, 2022.
  • This category has 5 visas under it, that cater to business owners in the UK, overseas companies, and overseas skilled professionals.
  • Get in touch with Conroy Baker, either call us on +44 203 773 2948 or drop an email at [email protected] to know about the Global Business Mobility route in detail.
  • As a UK Expansion Worker visa consultant in India, we accurately guide clients on the eligibility criteria, requirements, and application process for a UK Expansion Worker visa.

UK Expansion Worker visa – Overview

  • Under the Global Business Mobility routes, the UK Home Office has introduced a UK Expansion Worker visa.
  • This visa is for overseas professionals who are undertaking temporary work assignments in the UK.
  • The overseas professional must either be working as a senior manager or as a specialist employee in an overseas firm.
  • The UK Expansion Worker visa is implemented only for businesses that have not yet begun trading in the UK.
  • If the business is already trading in the UK, then the overseas employee must apply for a UK Senior or Specialist Worker visa under the Global Business Mobility.
  • A partner and children (under 18 years) can accompany the main applicant to the UK on a UK Expansion Worker visa.
  • However, applicants must note that the UK Expansion Worker visa does not permit settlement in the UK.
Eligibility Criteria List of Documents
The applicant must: The applicant will need:
1. Have a valid Certificate of Sponsorship from the UK employer. 1. A Certificate of Sponsorship.
2. Have worked for their employer outside the UK. 2. A valid passport to prove identity, with enough blank pages.
3. Do a job that’s on the list of eligible occupations. 3. The job title, job occupation code, and annual salary.
4. Be paid the minimum eligible salary required for the job role. 4. The name of the UK employer and their Sponsor Licence number (mentioned on the Certificate of Sponsorship).
5. Have worked with the employer outside of the UK for at least 12 months (unless the applicant is earning over £73,900 or the applicant is Japanese national working for a Japanese company that is expanding to the UK). 5. To evidence that they have enough personal savings to support their stay in the UK. For example, bank statements.
6. Proof of relationship – partner or children (if they are applying along with the applicant).
7. Tuberculosis test results (if required).

Certificate of Sponsorship for a Secondment Worker visa

  • The UK-based employer – also known as a ‘Sponsor’ – must provide the applicant with a ‘Certificate of Sponsorship’ stating all the information with regards to the job role for which the applicant is employed in the UK.
  • It’s an e-Certificate and not a paper document.
  • The applicant will need the reference number from the Certificate of Sponsorship to apply for the visa.
  • The applicant is required to apply for the visa within 3 months of getting the Certificate of Sponsorship.
You MUST know this!
A UK Expansion Worker visa applicant does not need to meet the English language requirement.
Salary requirement for a UK Expansion Worker visa
The applicant must be paid at least £42,400 per year or the ‘going rate’ for that particular job role – whichever is higher. Each job role has a particular ‘going rate’.

Permitted and not permitted activities in the UK on a UK Expansion Worker visa

The applicant is permitted to:

  • Work for their sponsor in the job described in their Certificate of Sponsorship.
  • Bring partner and children as ‘dependants’, if they’re eligible.
  • Do voluntary work.
  • Travel abroad and return to the UK.

The applicant is not permitted to:

  • Apply for most benefits (public funds), or the State Pension.
  • Change jobs unless eligible and have updated the visa.
  • Have a second job.
  • Apply to settle permanently in the UK (also known as ‘Indefinite Leave to Remain’)./li>

People also ask

The applicant must apply for a UK Expansion Worker visa online.
Depending on the following circumstances the applicant can apply from –

  • Outside the UK to come to the UK.
  • Inside the UK and extend the current visa.
  • Inside the UK and switch from a different visa.

The applicant can include a partner and children (under 18 years) in the application to stay in the UK if they are eligible.

With a UK Expansion Worker visa, the applicant can stay in the UK for whichever is the shortest duration:

  • 12 months from the start date of the job mentioned on the Certificate of Sponsorship,
  • The time mentioned on the applicant’s Certificate of Sponsorship, plus 14 days.
To extend the UK Expansion Worker visa, all of the following must apply:

  • The applicant has the same job which was offered to them when they were permitted to enter the UK. And the job must come under the same occupation code.
  • The applicant must be working for the same employer who gave them their current Certificate of Sponsorship.
  • The applicant has not reached the maximum total stay.
  • If the applicant changes their job/employer, it is mandatory for them to apply to update their visa.
The applicant might be able to apply to switch to a UK Expansion Worker visa if they are already in the UK on a different type of visa. However, they must meet all the eligibility requirements.
  • On a Visit visa.
  • On a Short-term Student visa.
  • On a Parent of a Child Student visa.
  • On a Seasonal Worker visa.
  • On a Domestic Worker in a Private Household visa.
  • On immigration bail.
  • Permitted to stay outside the immigration rules, for example on compassionate grounds.

The applicant will have to leave the UK and apply for a UK Expansion Worker visa from outside the UK if they are on any one of the above visas.

The applicant is required to pay:

  • £259 as the Application fee, plus
  • £624 for each year permitted on the visa as the immigration healthcare surcharge.
After applying online, submitting identity proofs, and providing all relevant documents, the decision will usually take:

  • 3 weeks, if applied from outside the UK.
  • 8 weeks, if applied from inside the UK./li>

Need a professional help?.