Individuals can apply to come to the UK in this category if they can show that they:
- are a Commonwealth citizen;
- are aged 17 or over;
- can work and you plan to work in the UK; and
- can adequately support and accommodate yourself and your dependants without help from public funds
In addition, the applicants must also show that at least 1 of their grandparents was born:
- in the UK (including the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man); or
- before 31 March 1922 in what is now the Republic of Ireland; or
- on a British-registered ship or aircraft
Applicants can claim ancestry if your relationship to the relevant grandparent is in the legitimate or illegitimate line.
As UK Ancestry visa holder, the individuals are permitted to work, undertake study courses and bring in family members to join them in the UK.
However, the applicant cannot switch in to this visa if they are already in UK on another visa. The applicants are also not allowed to get public funds.