This page covers the following topics

UK Minister of Religion visa (T2) – Overview

An applicant can apply for a Minister of Religion visa (T2) if:

  • They have been offered a job within a faith community (for example as a minister of religion, missionary, or member of a religious order) in the UK.
  • The applicant needs to be employed by a licensed sponsor to apply to live in the UK.
  • The sponsor checks that the applicant can do the job they’re doing and if it qualifies for this visa.
  • The sponsor gives you a Certificate of Sponsorship to prove this.
  • The sponsor also gives the applicant other information, for example, how much the applicant will be paid.
Eligibility Criteria List of Documents
The applicant must: The applicant will need:
1. Have a Certificate of Sponsorship for your job. 1. A Certificate of Sponsorship reference number – is given by the UK-based employer.
2. Prove knowledge of the English language. 2. A valid passport to prove identity. The passport must have a blank page.
3. Have personal savings to support the stay in the UK after arrival in the country. 3. Expired passports or travel documents if needed to show travel history.
4. The applicant must show that they can travel and the travel history over the last 5 years. 4. Evidence that the applicant has enough personal savings to support their stay in the UK. For example, bank statements.
5. Have tuberculosis test results (usually required from the applicants from listed countries on the government website) 5. Proof of knowledge of the English language.
6. Be 18 or over when the applicant applies. 6. If the documents are not in English or Welsh it is required to provide a certified translation.
7. Tuberculosis test results (if required).

Certificate of Sponsorship for a UK Minister of Religion visa (T2)

  • The UK-based employer – also known as a ‘Sponsor’ – must provide the applicant with a ‘Certificate of Sponsorship’ stating all the information with regards to the job role for which the applicant is employed in the UK.
  • It’s an e-Certificate and not a paper document.
  • The applicant will need the reference number from the Certificate of Sponsorship to apply for the visa.
  • The applicant is required to apply for the visa within 3 months of getting the Certificate of Sponsorship.
You MUST know this!
The applicant may need to prove their knowledge of the English language when they apply. This can be proved by either:

  • Passing an approved English language test with at least CEFR level B2 in reading, writing, speaking, and listening.
  • Having an academic qualification that was taught in English and is recognised by Ecctis (formerly UK NARIC) as being equivalent to a UK Bachelor’s degree, master’s degree, or Ph.D.

Permitted and not permitted activities in the UK on a UK International Sportsperson visa

The applicant is permitted to:

  • Work for their sponsor in the job described in their Certificate of Sponsorship.
  • Do a second job – in certain circumstances.
  • Do voluntary work.
  • Study as long as it does not interfere with the sponsored job.
  • Travel abroad and return to the UK.
  • Bring partner and children as dependents, if they’re eligible.

The applicant is not permitted to:

  • Own more than 10% of the sponsor’s shares (unless the applicant earns more than £159,600 a year).
  • Get public funds.

Bringing a partner and children to the UK on a UK Minister of Religion visa (T2)

The applicant’s partner and children can apply to join to stay in the UK as ‘dependants’ if they’re eligible.
If their application is successful, their visa will end on the same date as the applicants.

Proof of relationship
A dependant partner or child is any of the following:

  • Husband, wife, civil partner, or unmarried partner.
  • Children under 18 years – including if they were born in the UK during the stay.
  • Children over 18 years if they’re currently in the UK as a dependant

The applicant needs to provide evidence of relationship while applying.

Taking up a second job in the UK while on a UK Minister of Religion visa (T2)

The applicant can take a second job on this visa if they are working up to 20 hours a week in either:

  • The same profession as the main job.
  • A profession on the Skilled Worker shortage occupation list.
  • The applicant can also do unpaid voluntary work.
  • Otherwise, the applicant will be required to apply for a new visa and will need to be sponsored by the second employer and get a new Certificate of Sponsorship.
Who you’re applying for Apply outside the UK Extend or switch in the UK
Yourself £625 £719
All dependants £625 each person £719 each person

People also ask

The applicant must apply for a UK Minister of Religion visa (T2) online.
The applicant may be able to apply to extend their stay in the UK under a Minister of Religion visa (T2). For this, the applicant should apply before the current visa expires.
The applicant might be able to apply to change (switch) to a UK Minister of Religion visa (T2) if they are already in the UK on a different type of visa. However, the eligibility requirements must be met.

Who cannot apply to switch?
Individuals who are currently in the UK:

  • On a Visit visa,
  • On a Short-Term Student visa,
  • On a Parent of a Child Student visa,
  • On a Seasonal Worker visa,
  • On a Domestic Worker in a Private Household visa,
  • On immigration bail,
  • Permitted to stay outside the immigration rules, for example on compassionate grounds.

The applicant is required to leave the UK and apply for a UK Minister of Religion visa (T2) from abroad if they come under any one of these categories.

Who you’re applying for Apply outside the UK Extend or switch in the UK
Yourself £625 £719
All dependants £625 each person £719 each person

Plus, the immigration Healthcare surcharge which is £624 per year granted on the visa.

The applicant should get a decision on their visa application within 3 weeks if they apply from outside the UK.

How long can I stay in the UK on the UK Minister of Religion visa (T2)?
The applicant can come to the UK with a Minister of Religion visa (T2) for a maximum of up to 3 years and 1 month, or the time is given on the Certificate of Sponsorship, plus 14 days, whichever is shorter.

  • The applicant must have at least £1,270 in the bank account to show they can support themselves in the UK.
  • The applicant will need to have had the money available for at least 28 days in a row.
  • The applicant usually needs to show proof of this when they apply, unless either:
  • They have been in the UK with a valid visa for at least 12 months.
  • The employer can cover the costs of the applicant during the first month in the UK, up to £1,270.

Need a professional help?.