This page covers the following topics


  • The UK Home Office launched a few new visas under a special category called the ‘Global Business Mobility’ which came into effect from 11th April, 2022.
  • This category has 5 visas under it, that cater to business owners in the UK, overseas companies, and overseas skilled professionals.
  • Get in touch with Conroy Baker, either call us on +44 203 773 2948 or drop an email at [email protected] to know about the Global Business Mobility route in detail.
  • As a Senior or Specialist Worker visa consultant in India, we accurately guide clients on the eligibility criteria, requirements, and application process for a Senior or Specialist Worker visa.

Senior or Specialist Worker – Overview

  • A Senior or Specialist Worker visa is for overseas professionals who are undertaking temporary work assignments in the UK.
  • For this visa, the overseas professional must be a senior manager or specialist employee.
  • The applicant must be assigned to the UK for a business-related purpose, which is linked to their overseas employer.
  • Such assignments are typically referred to as ‘Intra-Company Transfer’ or ICT.
  • A partner and children (under 18 years) can accompany the main applicant to the UK on a Senior or Specialist Worker visa.
  • However, applicants must note that the Senior or Specialist Worker visa does not permit settlement in the UK.
Eligibility Criteria List of Documents
The applicant must: The applicant will need:
1. Have a valid Certificate of Sponsorship from the UK employer. 1. A Certificate of Sponsorship.
2. Have worked for an overseas employer. 2. A valid passport to prove identity, with enough blank pages.
3. Do a job that’s on the list of eligible occupations. 3. Job title and annual salary.
4. Be paid the minimum eligible salary required for the job role. 4. Job’s occupation code.
5. Name of the employer and their Sponsor Licence number – this is mentioned on the Certificate of Sponsorship.
6. Evidence to show enough personal savings to support their stay in the UK. For example, bank statements.
7. Proof of relationship – partner or children (if they are applying along with the main applicant).
8. Tuberculosis test results (if required).

Certificate of Sponsorship for a Senior or Specialist Worker visa

  • The UK-based employer – also known as a ‘Sponsor’ – must provide the applicant with a ‘Certificate of Sponsorship’ stating all the information with regards to the job role for which the applicant is employed in the UK.
  • It’s an e-Certificate and not a paper document.
  • The applicant will need the reference number from the Certificate of Sponsorship to apply for the visa.
  • The applicant is required to apply for the visa within 3 months of getting the Certificate of Sponsorship.
You MUST know this!
A Senior or Specialist Worker visa applicant does not need to meet the English language requirement.
Salary requirement for a Senior or Specialist Worker visa
The applicant must be paid at least £42,400 or the ‘going rate’ for that particular job role – whichever is higher. Each job role has a particular ‘going rate’.

Permitted and not permitted activities in the UK on a UK Expansion Worker visa

The applicant is permitted to:

  • Work for their sponsor in the job described in their Certificate of Sponsorship.
  • Bring partner and children as ‘dependants’, if they’re eligible.
  • Do voluntary work.
  • Travel abroad and return to the UK.

The applicant is not permitted to:

  • Apply for most benefits (public funds), or the State Pension.
  • Change jobs unless eligible and have updated the visa.
  • Have a second job – unless the applicant has previously had an Intra-Company Transfer visa or a Tier 2 (Intra-Company Transfer) Long term Staff visa.
  • Apply to settle permanently in the UK (also known as ‘Indefinite Leave to Remain’).

People also ask

The applicant must apply for a Senior or Specialist Worker visa online.
Depending on the following circumstances the applicant can apply from –

  • Outside the UK to come to the UK.
  • Inside the UK and extend the current visa.
  • Inside the UK and switch from a different visa.

The applicant can include a partner and children (under 18 years) in the application to stay in the UK if they are eligible.

With a Senior or Specialist Worker visa, the applicant can stay in the UK for whichever is the shortest duration:

  • The time mentioned on the Certificate of Sponsorship, plus 14 days.
  • 5 years.
  • The applicant can apply to extend the visa or apply for another one, multiple times, up to the maximum total stay.
  • If an applicant is already in the UK on an Intra-company visa or a Tier 2 (Intra-Company Transfer) Long-term Staff visa, the applicant can then apply to extend their stay in the UK, by switching to a Senior or Specialist Worker visa.

The maximum total stay allowed on a Senior and Specialist Worker visa is:

  • 5 years in any 6-year period if the applicant is paid less than £73,900 a year.
  • 9 years in any 10-year period if the applicant is paid £73,900 a year or more.
If an applicant earns less than £73,900 a year, then it might be required to show proof that the applicant has worked with the overseas company for a period of at least 12 months.
To extend the Senior or Specialist Worker visa, all of the following must apply:

  • The applicant has the same job which was offered to them when they were permitted to enter the UK. And the job must come under the same occupation code.
  • The applicant must be working for the same employer who gave them their current Certificate of Sponsorship.
  • The applicant has not reached the maximum total stay.

If the applicant changes their job/employer, it is mandatory for them to apply to update their visa. Also, the applicant must not travel outside of the UK, Ireland, the Channel Islands, or the Isle of Man until a decision on the application is received. If done so, the application will be withdrawn.

Need a professional help?.